It has been 2 months, 1 day, 4 hours, 10 minutes and 15 seconds since my last cupcake. I am now officially grain free. I honestly never knew I had a problem until I changed my diet.
My dog, Kookaburra, has been grain free since she was a puppy. Looking back– I can now understand (and relate to) the crazy behavioral issues she had during her transition from kibble to grain free.
Initially, I found myself secretly, quietly perusing images of cupcakes and (yes) sandwiches on the internet. Then my wheat addiction symptoms got more serious. I bought food magazines and cut out pictures of bread and other grain filled gems and pasted them on my bathroom wall! I was also light headed and a tiny bit cranky.
But, to support our mother’s path to wellness and her newly prescribed grain free diet, my sisters and I have decided to remain grain free too. As Dr. William Davis, #1 New York Times Bestselling Author states, “Once wheat-free, always wheat-free is the best policy.”
- Is there a difference between Gluten-Free and Grain Free?
- A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye, and a cross between wheat and rye called triticale.
- Rice, corn, barley and oats are allowed.
- A Grain-Free diet is a diet that excludes all grains including wheat, rice, corn, barley and oats.
- According to Dr. William Davis, a Grain-Free Diet is the healthiest.
In a recent interview from https://www.wellnessmama.com, Dr. William Davis states:
- Wheat, harboring its hidden gliadin protein, increases appetite.
- Wheat is a weak opiate. Eat wheat, you want more wheat, you want more carbohydrates.
- When we eat more grains, we gain weight and acquire all the health consequences such as hypertension, high cholesterol, arthritis, acid reflux, and diabetes.
To celebrate our new grain free life–I have decided to reincarnate my favorite popcorn snack into a non-popcorn (grain-free) snack. It really is just as delicious. Enjoy!
1 cup marcona almonds, salted
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries, sweetened
3-4 ozs. dark chocolate bar, chopped
1/2 cup manchego cheese, cubed
3 cups popcorn (eliminate)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.