According to https://www.medicalnewstoday.com — looking at “puppy dog eyes” triggers a 300% increase in a person’s oxytocin levels – the “love hormone” involved in maternal bonding.
According to https://www.Helpguide.org :
- Dogs in particular can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, ease loneliness, encourage exercise and playfulness, and even improve your cardiovascular health.
- One study even found that when people with borderline hypertension adopted dogs from a shelter, their blood pressure declined significantly within five months.
- People with dogs have lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those without pets.
- More than any other animal, dogs have evolved to become acutely attuned to humans and our behavior and emotions.
- While dogs are able to understand many of the words we use, they’re even better at interpreting our tone of voice, body language, and gestures.
- And like any good human friend, a loyal dog will look into your eyes to gauge your emotional state and try to understand what you’re thinking and feeling.
- Stroking, hugging, or otherwise touching a loving animal can rapidly calm and soothe us when we’re stressed or anxious.
- Playing with a dog or cat can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calm and relax.
- One of the reasons for these therapeutic effects is that dogs (and cats) fulfill the basic human need to touch.
- Taking a dog for a walk, hike, or run are fun and rewarding ways to fit healthy daily exercise into your schedule.
- Studies have shown that dog owners are far more likely to meet their daily exercise requirements
- And exercising every day is great for the animal as well. It will deepen the connection between you, eradicate most behavior problems in dogs, and keep your pet fit and healthy.